Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Book Review: The Elegance of the Hedgehog by Muriel Barbery




Sometimes we forget; we let life become dull and colorless; we stop feeling because we think there is nothing to feel; we allow ourselves to be completely weighted down. Strange, but that happens sometimes. And then, something comes along to awaken us--nudges and whispers: life has brilliant color; I feel alive; I think, I am, I see. God gave us many things that remind our finite brains how to live and dream...The written word is one of those priceless gifts.

The Elegance of the Hedgehog is a book that I want to own, so I can revisit and contemplate it fifty times over--the characters, voices, images, emotions...the way the words look on the page. When a book, like Elegance, has the power to enliven my senses through the simple act of turning pages, when I read and feel the nudges and whisperings of eternity reminding me of possibility, blessings and beauty, I can only think:

this is why people say that reading is like breathing.



Image from betterworldbooks.com

1 comment: